Services and Support for Parents

NHS Services for New Parents

GP Registration

First of all, it is important for you to register your baby with your General Practitioner as early as possible in case you need their help. 

Find out how to change your GP

Find a GP in your area

How your Health Visitor can help

A health visitor will usually visit you at home for the first time around 10 days after your baby is born. Until then you'll be under the care of your local midwives.

A health visitor is a qualified nurse or midwife who has had extra training. They're there to help you, your family and your new baby stay healthy.

Your health visitor can visit you at home, or you can see them at your child health clinic, GP surgery or health centre, depending on where they're based. They'll make sure you have their phone number.

If you're bringing up a child on your own or struggling for any reason, your health visitor can offer you extra support.

Talk to your health visitor if you feel anxious, depressed or worried. They can give you advice and suggest where to find help.

They may also be able to put you in touch with groups where you can meet other mothers.

Child Health Clinics

Child health clinics are run by health visitors and GPs. They offer regular baby health and development reviews and vaccinations.

You can also talk about any problems to do with your child, but if your child is ill and likely to need treatment, it's best to see your GP.

Some child health clinics also run mother and baby, parent and toddler, breastfeeding, and peer support groups.

Local Authority Services

Sure Start Children's Centres

Children's centres are linked to maternity services. They provide family health and support services, early learning, and full-day or temporary care for children from birth to 5 years.

They also provide advice and information for parents on a range of issues, from parenting to training and employment opportunities. Some have special services for young parents.

Find your local Sure Start Children's Centre

Family Information Service

Your local Family Information Service (FIS) aims to help you support your children by providing a range of information specifically for parents.

Each FIS has close links with children's centres, Jobcentre Plus, schools, careers advisers, youth clubs and libraries. 

They offer information about local childcare services and availability, and can help you if you need childcare for a child with a disability or special needs. 

Find your local Family Information Service

Local Advice Centres

Advice centres are non-profit agencies that give advice on issues such as benefits and housing.

You can search online for organisations such as:

To help you get the most out of services, remember:

Websites, Helplines and Support Groups for Parents

Contact: For families with disabled children

Support, advice and information for parents with disabled children.

Family Lives

An organisation providing immediate help from volunteer parent support workers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Family Rights Group

Support for parents and other family members whose children are involved with or need social care services.

Gingerbread: Single Parents, Equal Families

Help and advice on the issues that matter to lone parents.

Parent and Baby Groups

To find out about local groups:

In some areas, there are groups that offer support to parents who share the same background and culture. Many of these are women's or mothers' groups.

Lots of children's centres also run fathers' groups and groups for teenage parents.

Your health visitor may know whether there are any groups like these near you.